Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Creativity. Got It?

A typical night for me after work usually consists of me spending a little time at my computer before heading to bed. Also pretty typical for me is that I tend to get a little sidetracked while obsessively reading my facebook updates. Tonight (or this morning depends on what kind of person you are) was, you guessed it, typical. While deciding if I really wanted to play Farmville (why I even bother I have no idea...I really hate gardening or anything having to do with yard work in reality) or trying to find something uber clever to update my status with I noticed the box of scrap booking items that I have sitting in the corner of my computer room.

The box isn't overly large. About the size of a 1980's boom box with duel cassette decks, not too big but totally rad, it is sitting on top of 3 boxes of books that I have yet to find room for and next to a basket of clothes that could be clean but more likely not. Upon seeing it I remembered that, "Oh yeah!" I totally wanted to put together the most brilliant and beautiful book of memories for myself. And later, when my friends and family paged through it with envy, I was going to make one for them too.

Well, I have the supplies. I have the time. I even have someone who would love to join me in a pseudo scrap booking party. So, what's the problem?

I do not have even one tiny smidgen of creativity in my entire body.

I remember now when I obtained all those wondrous supplies. It was truly glorious. I had various sizes of colorful paper spread out in front of me littered with crafty little decals just ready for some glue. I had the special scissors, the special markers, the special photos! all haphazardly arranged on the floor ready to begin. And there I sat...not sure where to start. I waited for inspiration. I looked at crafting magazines hoping some DIY star would become my muse.

After a little while I opted to flip through my photos in search of...well, anything to help me get started. What I ended up doing is spending an hour or more thumbing through those photos remembering the person, thinking about the place they were taken and in some of them wondering "what was I thinking???"

After going through the entire pile I put them all back into my shoe box packed up all my scrap booking supplies and stuck the entire box into the corner where it has been for awhile.

For those creative souls does creating come easy? Is it just a matter of laying out a few odds and ends of paper, add a little glue, write a little note and *poof* art? Am I one of the few who just can't look at a pile of various things and create beauty?

I think so. Give me a diagram, write me directions, give me step by step instructions....I might be able to copy them. Copy. Yep. Not create but carefully reproduce someone else's vision. At least it would be an excellent reproduction. I would probably even get a ruler out to make sure my ribbon was in the exact same location. I would have to trace any handwritten notes to ensure that my finished product looked as good as the original.

Does my lack of creativity have anything to do with me being completely and utterly anal? I have no clue but it is an interesting correlation. I do know that I humbly bow down to you artsy fartsy people. You rock.

So for now my box of scrap booking supplies still sits in the corner. One of these days I will pull it back out or maybe I will just put it into the closet on the shelf next to my partially completed latch hook rug, my beading supplies, the counted cross stitch project, and the sewing pattern to make my very own window treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment