Monday, July 12, 2010

I write therefore I am

I have an acquaintance from high school who recently took up blogging. Maybe he actually has been blogging for a while but I just discovered his (possibly new) blog and  eagerly check in with it everyday to see what he has written about.

I am never disappointed, he writes several things daily. His blog posts are always so.....hmmmm....eloquent Yep, that would be the word to describe them. His topics are always thought provoking and entertaining. His posts often ask rhetorical questions that I myself always wonder just never actually thought to ask.

Knowing that he is writer and I am in awe with his blog it makes me wonder about my own blog. Is it worth even writing? Worth reading? Worth a pile of petrified poo?

The unwritten rules of blogging state that you should first and foremost blog for your own enjoyment.

Do I blog because I enjoy it? Yep. Well, maybe. I mean I kinda do. I definitely don't do it for the masses. I currently have 2 followers on my blog (shout out to ya girls!) so I am pretty sure I am not entertaining the troops with my various posts on weird shit that pops into my head. But I have to wonder if I blog because I truly like it or because the wallflower (how's that for an old word?) in me is tired of being ignored. I kind of feel like throwing open my window and shouting "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" (obscure movie quote from the movie Network by the way) but now thanks to the Internet I won't get into trouble for screaming out my window at 3am. I can just blog about it.

I often have things to say but just end up letting other people talk over me so much that now that I have a captive audience (all 2 of you) I'm in 5th or 6th heaven. Not sure if I get more followers if that will elevate me up to 7th Heaven or not......

So, I am still not sure if I blog for my own enjoyment or if I am a troubled kid crying out for attention. Honestly I don't give two shits one way or another but I have to admit I like my finished products and if someone else has read them and likes what they read that's cool too.

That leaves me with another unwritten rule of blogging. You don't have to be a writer to blog. OK I just made that one up. It's a good rule though. I might have to write that one down.

So, I might not ever write anything remotely awe inspiring as my acquaintance can but I'm going to keep on keeping on...er....blogging on.

*unprofessional author's note--The entire topic of this post was based on a 10 second thought process my brain underwent after reading a post by said acquaintance. I am pretty sure I dedicated more time writing about it than I did actually thinking about it. I am in no way comparing myself or my writing to that of a professional nor do I ridicule myself for not creating an award winning prose. It was more of a "Blogging...why bother." moment which has now passed. I solemnly swear to never go in this direction again.

No comments:

Post a Comment